Gifts of Business Interests
How It Works
- You give shares of closely-held stock to the Pomona College.
- Pomona College may hold the shares and collect the dividends, or it may offer the stock back to your company for redemption or re-purchase. Pomona College will apply dividends or the proceeds to the purposes you wish to support.
- You receive gift credit and an immediate income tax deduction for the appraised value of your shares, even if their original value was close to zero.
- You pay no capital gains tax on any appreciation that has taken place in the shares.
- Under certain conditions, you may be able to use closely-held shares to fund a life-income arrangement.
- You can make a significant gift that benefits both you and Pomona College during your lifetime without using your cash reserves to do so.
- More detail on gifts of business interests.
- Frequently asked questions on gifts of business interests.
- Contact us so we can assist you through every step.